Friday, March 10, 2017

HERE...WE...GO...

Sometimes you have a bad day, but sometimes that bad day inspires a project. On a day when things were starting to fall apart around me, I turned to music for distraction. I chose Black Flag's Slip It In, and it was a solid choice as all the bull shit started to melt into the background, becoming more and more irrelevant as I just got down to it and just plowed through the day.

It's not an exaggeration to call Black Flag my favorite band. Since buying My War back in high school, the band has been a bit of an obsession. I used to draw the bars on absolutely everything, had multiple Black Flag stickers on my car, had multiple t-shirts, including the Family Man t, which never failed to raise some eyebrows, and had all the albums on either cassette or CD, and started blindly buying any album with an SST logo (not always a smart choice).

When I decided to start self publishing my writing in book-zines, it was because of Black Flag and
Henry Rollins. My artwork was influenced by their album covers, which were done by guitarist Greg Ginn's brother, Raymond Pettibon. At this point I've been listening to Black Flag for more than half my life and unlike many bands that I either grew out of or stopped relating to, Flag remains a constant in my listening rotation.

Considering that Black Flag broke up in 1986 when I was ten years old and hadn't even heard of them and remained completely inactive until 2003, I've never had an excuse to write about the band at length, until the 2013 release of What The... which I had very little to say about.

Which brings us now to this; Thirsty And Miserable. What is it? Basically an excuse to write at length about Black Flag. I'm going to review every official album, demos, good bootlegs, and videos on Youtube. And perhaps some Flag related projects like...Flag, the group that features past members of Black Flag, but with Stephen Egerton of Descendents/All instead of Ginn. I'll dig into the history, recommend some books and generally exhaust myself of everything I have to say about Black Flag.

To start things off let me hip you to this short documentary about the artwork of Black Flag, which was just as important to who Black Flag was as the music.